Ghost Skies CLOD Testing

Any topic related to Ghost Skies or Cliffs of Dover

Moderator: Admin team

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Ghost Skies CLOD Testing

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:21 pm

As a long term plan for GS in CLOD, we essentially have a 4 step process.

Step 1
A small handful of us learning the basics. Setting up the campaign system on the website and server, learning what it can do, and how we make it work. This is pretty much accomplished, at least enough to move on to the next step.

Step 2
Opening it up to group testing, so that we can have a better understanding of the scale of various campaign systems under the load of many players.

Step 3
Once we really think we know what we're doing, we'll build a small campaign, non-historical, but open and advertised to the general community. This will be the real first test of a campaign for us, and will show us if we are indeed ready to put on a full show.

Step 4
The actual multi-phase campaign. Starting with some form of the Battle of France, progressing through the Battle of Britain, and eventually trying an invasion of Britain by the end.

As we stand, we're ready to enter Step 2. Starting Sunday, Aug 17th, we'll begin running a GS community test phase of the HR campaign system for CLOD. Tests will be held every Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday. Please try to make as many as you can. The plan is to launch at 9pm ET, and run two 1 hour missions back to back, in order to cram in a campaign length run as quickly as we can.

You can find the server in the CLOD lobby as Ghost Skies Testing. For at least the time being, you will need to add the word Allied or the word Axis to your name in order to join. No password for now.

First of all, it will give our current GS community a chance to get back together online and help each other get up to speed with the new game in general. Also, it will give us a chance to learn what type of resources we need to sustain a campaign with some respectable amount of people involved. Right now we've tested specific things with 2 or 3 of us at most, so we're hoping to get a better sense of the scale of how everything works.

The HR system doesn't have some of the features we are used to, but it adds others that make certain aspects more complex, and more than anything, much more interdependent. The logistics to keep the war effort going are greatly expanded from what we're used to, and only running off missions with a bunch of people is going to give us an idea of how much of what resources are typically used.

This will also be a chance for some aspiring commanders to learn the system and what's involved in managing it. There's a lot, so if you're thinking about it, get started early. If anyone is interested, I'll set you up with some homework. :D
Hptm. Stecher, Staffelkapitän
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

TUSA/Nuwen

Re: >>>>>Ghost Skies CLOD Testing<<<<<

Postby TUSA/Nuwen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:14 am

Would you please provide a step-by-step guide to adding the word Allied or Axis to you name in order to join?

Appreciated!

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Assuming you have it through Steam, open Steam, go to the Friends menu, and Change Profile Name. That's the name that displays in game. Add Axis or Allied to your normal flying name. For me, I'm flying as Axis_3./JG51_Stecher. Make sure there are no spaces in your name as well, as it will kick you if there are.

If anyone doesn't have it through Steam, I have no clue. Please post if you do.

For now, we'll run with minimal time penalties to confirm they work, and if you want to change sides at any point, I think you can just quit, change your Steam profile and rejoin.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

AKA_MattE

Postby AKA_MattE » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Stecher, I just saw this, sorry I missed Sunday and I cant make Tuesday but will try and make the others after that. I am going to get some of the other guys to sign up for the Forum here.

AKA_MattE

Stab/JG1_Britchot

Postby Stab/JG1_Britchot » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:39 am

I had the intention to test last night, even made it to TS. However, I spent 90% of my time last night on the phone with my ISP trying to get them to fix their routes to this website (and my squadron forums/TS).

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Well, after 2 nights, 4 cycles, and a couple more after hours sessions, we're certainly learning some things. Among so much other information that will need to be laid out eventually, here's some of the new developments from this week.

There are 3 penalty times we can configure. One is for leaving the plane improperly, one is for being captured or needing surgery to treat serious wounds, and the other is for being killed or needing rehabilitation after an amputation. The last two are going to be mission length penalties. The first one is where it gets tricky.

For some reason the game does not properly recognize a crash landing at any airfield, active or inactive. It seems that even airfields that are inactive in the campaign retain a radius that is recognized by the game (but not the campaign). When you ditch/crash land on any airfield, it still considers your plane to be in flight or in motion, even if it is not. So when you leave the plane, the campaign penalizes you as if you have improperly left the plane. As such, we are going to have to make this a minimal penalty, instead of what should be a lengthy, even full penalty for exiting the plane during anything other than appropriate situations. We can't have people mission banned because they crash land at their home base. So expect only a few minutes for this. You can consider this deserving of not cleanly landing the plane, but you'll have to ignore that a ditch anywhere else or bailing out has no penalty at all (assuming no capture), despite being a more negative sortie resolution. There is also no timeout for cleanly landing.

EDIT: Corrections and updates to the section below are in my next post.
The airfield resources of ammunition, bombs, fuel, and repair kits are permanently clustered into 4 groups of 4 buildings at each airfield. It does not put 1 buildings of each into each group. It puts all 4 buildings of each resource into a group. It puts them (perhaps at the set base radius) along the 4 cardinal directions, regardless of runway heading. And it always puts the same resource group in the same spot (so far). It appears to divide whatever amount of that resource that airfield has evenly among the 4 buildings in the group. When they get bombed, and the building(s) destroyed, it will destroy various amounts of that resource from different buildings. My guess is that the closer the bomb detonates to which buildings, the more of the resource gets destroyed from it. So even if you blow up all the buildings, you're not blowing up all the resources inside. Next mission they are back, and have redistributed the remaining resources of that type evenly among the 4 buildings in the group.

There is a rescue function, by which you can use a multi-crew aircraft and land next to a pilot who's been shot down, and have him jump into your airplane and take back off to safety. Since there is no penalty for ditching in friendly territory, you'd only do this if your teammate was behind enemy lines and was risking capture by terminating the sortie normally. We've had mixed results with this system, and are trying to find out what caused the denials in come cases. I'll report back if we can clarify the requirements for this.

In the first stages of feature testing we had the commander orders system working, issuing unit movements and ordering new ammunition to be built at the factories, etc. Somehow this got broken when before our first group test last Sunday. I'm trying to figure out what happened with that.

The website for the campaign needs some improvements in the English translated version from the original Spanish. Right now the Kills stat actually means Deaths. Other things are understandable, but could be clearer.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

TUSA/ColSabeth

Postby TUSA/ColSabeth » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:55 pm

great progress Stecher, I will do my best to get the testing time frames defined as often as I can.
TUSA/ColSabeth
Team U.S.A - Commanding Officer
http://www.flytusa.com
Take a moment, step back and watch the world from a toddlers viewpoint.. Only then will you truly understand the world, and truly be humbled.

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:45 pm

To correct what I said about the airfield resource buildings, they are not organized in the same configuration every time. It does dedicated one group per resource, and puts the 4 groups at the cardinal directions at a set distance from each other. But which resource is at which direction is randomized, not fixed. Also, while it is not easily customizable in the configuration file, we have located and successfully edited the code to add in more than just 4 buildings for each group. We can control how many buildings are in each group, how the groups are spaced and organized, and each resource can have a distinct group formation if we want. They do have to be the same building type however. We can also easily configure what percentage of the resources each buildings holds. This would give a maximum possible for resource destruction, but the actual destruction of the resource varies widely for each building destroyed, again, likely due to proximity to the bomb blast.

I still don't know what caused the initial denial of the first rescue attempt, but it's been consistently working since then, so I think that's okay.

The English versions of the in game messages from the campaign have undergone a thorough cleanup by Gunther and read much better now. This remains to be done for the website.

The movement and build order system is still broken.

There was a major problem when an aircraft was left on an airfield improperly, causing an AI pilot to take over and fly it around. We reported it to the HR squad, and after a couple attempts, they were able to fix the issue with a new version, so now improperly abandoned planes simply disappear in a few seconds.

The proper way to leave a plane is to hit Escape, click on your team flag, then click OK. If you Create another plane after just hitting Escape, without doing the flag/OK step, that is wrong, and you will receive a kick with a short penalty. We can't control that independently. That sequence belongs to a group of things the game recognizes as improperly leaving your plane, and for other reasons, it needs a penalty.

If at any time, for any reason, you are kicked from the server and want to rejoin, you need to quit the game and reopen. Don't just try to rejoin, it won't let you. If you back out of Multiplayer and come back, it will sort of work, but it will rejoin you without the team flags. Since the server auto-assigns your team, you don't need them to pick an airfield and plane, and go fly a sortie. But when it comes time to exit the plane, you can't do it properly without the flags, as described above. So if you get kicked, quit the game, then reopen and rejoin, this should give you the flag. Assuming you are out of penalty time of course. If you ever join, even initially, and don't see the team flags, close the game out and come back.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

TUSA/Nuwen

Postby TUSA/Nuwen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:19 am

Stecher - the last two paragraphs should become a sticky :shock: IMO - Critical info!!!

Great update too btw! 8-)

3./JG51_Heiden

Postby 3./JG51_Heiden » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Stecher is doing an outstanding job with our transition to CoD. I think this upcoming campaign will be one of the best we've ever had... only second to Slovenia. :-)
Oblt. Jochen Heiden
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
162 Confirmed Kills - "Ace In A Day" Club Member
ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”