Ghost Skies CLOD Testing

Any topic related to Ghost Skies or Cliffs of Dover

Moderator: Admin team

AKA_MattE

Re: >>>>>Ghost Skies CLOD Testing<<<<<

Postby AKA_MattE » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:11 am

Stecher is Friday the only night you are testing? Sorry I missed, it I have been shifing between the AKA 46 campaign, ATAG and DCS. I will try and make this Friday.

AKA_MattE

3./JG51_Gunther

Postby 3./JG51_Gunther » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:18 pm

I believe we are testing tonight for any who can make it.

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:38 pm

Last night was fun. I literally put 200 flak guns at a couple airfields and we flew through them. It was lethal enough to kill some of us trying it, but a few made it through a few times with flyable damage. It looked spectacular, and didn't seem to kill frame rates. Since something like this is theoretically possible during the course of the campaign, we were wondering what would happen, and if we'd need to have some side rule to prevent it, but I think it's completely acceptable. After a certain point, I'm sure there are better things to spend team resources on, but it's good to know commanders don't have to artificially short themselves on AA defenses.

We'll be off until our next test on Sunday the 28th.
Hptm. Stecher, Staffelkapitän
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:26 pm

I was able to find the two parts in the code that handle plane usage and cargo plane loading. There were restrictions that checked to make sure the base and player were of the same squad. If not, it went to check if the base's owner was allowing a certain amount of loaned aircraft, and even if so for normal usage, it simply prohibited any cargo flights at all. As far as I can tell, I've been able to disable both of these squad checks, and now any player from the team can fly from any base, even for cargo runs.

Also, we've been destroying the industrial buildings for a few nights now, and are getting very mixed results in damage required. Even in the old game, there seemed to be a variable probability of destruction based on radius from blast to object. In CLOD, it seems to be exaggerated even more. For instance, our factories use a building that is actually 4 pieces. You can hit the main piece, not blow it up, but blow up the piece next to it. We've needed multiple hits to kill the targeted piece sometimes, and other times, a single near miss will destroy it. So when it comes to bombing the industrial buildings, expect some randomness. You might get lucky, but saturation bombing a target will be best.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:52 pm

The more we have people flying against each other and the flak concentrations, the more we're seeing the injury system the campaign uses. It's resulting in duration bans more frequently than anticipated. HR's original intent was likely not to have duration bans, but that's a staple of GS for capture and death. They've bound the capture to medium injury and death to serious injury. So anything other than extremely minor (determined randomly) and brief injuries is resulting in a duration ban.

From what I have found so far in the code, when the pilot sustains any sort of injury, completely regardless of the game giving you any red screen indication, the campaign spits out a random number from 0-100. It then adds 1 to that number for every minute you are flying while injured. By the time you land, if your injury level is over 25%, you get the medium penalty, which is attached to captures, and therefore ends your night as a pilot. This is too harsh because of the penalties we use.

A little while back Derring was trying to redo the penalty system and add in a handful of event timeouts for various things like landing, ditching, bailing, and separating the injuries from captures and deaths. We weren't able to get that working, but I'm going to try again to modify the default system in a lesser way to at least reorganize and reassign the existing 3 penalty levels and give us better working options. I'm typing this just as I find the code section that deals with injury systems, so whether or not I can actually do what I'm hoping is not certain. I will update when I test out my attempt(s). But this will need more testing on Tuesday by our group. Join us if you can. There will be plenty of shooting! :D
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:32 pm

First, thanks to those who joined to help us last night. We got in a lot of injury tests in one night. Unfortunately, while the results were definitive, they weren't what we were hoping to create with the code tweaks. But that's part of the process, and it has already helped us learn how to make improvements. More broadly, while we weren't getting the events we wanted, the reassignment of the penalties was confirmed, and that's actually a much bigger step to addressing the penalty concerns.

As for the injuries, I believe I found my mistake in misinterpreting the random number assignment. The random number actually has to be higher than the amount of injury plus bleed time, not lower, in order to save you from amputation. I changed the random range from 0-100 to 0-0, and later 0-1, thinking we had to keep the number under your bleed time. In fact, I was actually assuring that you needed an amputation, so we all received the penalty for subsequent medical leave. :oops:

I was under the impression that the random number was the amount of initial injury, to which bleed time was added. I now realize that it is certainly not that. I still do not know how it assigns the initial amount of injury, but whatever it is, plus bleed time, needs to be lower than the random number before you land. I'll be tinkering with it some more, possibly reversing that equation, or going off of bleed time only, or just changing the odds. Friday will be another shoot 'em up test. ;)
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Okay, the second attempt is working (mostly) how I intended. Essentially, if you're injured, you will need to RTB in a certain amount of time before you bleed too much to just be patched up quickly. If you go over the "bleed timer" you get a time penalty to undergo a more significant medical procedure. The last couple test nights have confirmed this to be working. However, in rewriting it to work only with how much you bleed out, instead of being largely random, it is skipping amputations, unless you are captured and treated at an enemy hospital. Friendly hospitals are either stitches/band-aid, or minor surgery.

Amputations matter because over time they can result in the retirement of your pilot. Plus, they provide some of the more humorous and colorful server messages. ;) I'll be trying to reintroduce the amputations and, if I can, ideally tie them to the bleed out process as well.

Overall, what we're going for is to make the injury mechanic something that you have to deal with, rather than something that just happens in the background, out of your control, reliant on randomization. The original system did have bleed time factored in, but your starting point and chance of amputation was heavily random, and you didn't know if you were starting the process already over the limit. I'd prefer to leave it in the hands of the injured pilot to return ASAP before things get worse, preventing a larger medical procedure (timeout), or to sacrifice recovery time later in the mission and tough out the sortie for some important objective.

The injury system timeouts gives us some form of time penalty during the mission that is not mission ending. I was able to make captures and deaths the same penalty, and give a different one to significant injuries. I was not able to get penalties for bailing or ditching, so the injury system will serve as our light penalty function, for those who don't make it cleanly through a sortie.

For those who want to join us, Tuesday will involve a lot of shooting each other again.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Complete success on Tuesday. The injury system rewrite is working exactly as intended, giving us a 3 tier injury system, based on time between injury and landing (actually exiting the plane). Tier 1, if you get back quickly, you have only minor medical issues and serve no timeout. Tier 2, if you take a little while to get back to base, you'll need surgery and have to serve a short timeout. Tier 3, if you take a long time to get back to base, you'll need to have the injured body part amputated and serve a longer timeout. The exact times to get back and resulting timeouts are not decided yet, but think in the 10-30 minute range.

Capture and death will of course be mission length timeouts. And we have also been able to modify the odds of escape behind enemy lines to be a little less forgiving. Originally your odds for escape dropped 20% per 10km behind the front. The final number needs some more testing to decide upon.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

AKA_MattE

Postby AKA_MattE » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:25 pm

Nice job!

AKA_MattE

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:10 pm

There are a handful of server commands that anyone can type in to toggle various map icons for friendly assets. This works even when map icons are turned off on the server. I have removed the commands that show the exact position of ground forces in real time on the map. I've left in the industrial building icons, as they are permanent and could be marked on a flight map. You can still call in info for many things during the mission.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

Return to “General Discussion”