Any News?

Any topic related to Ghost Skies or Cliffs of Dover

Moderator: Admin team

eriku777

Re: Any News?

Postby eriku777 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:14 am

eriku777 wrote:Bumping this thread to make it the most recent post. The prominence of posts seems the be determined by Posting Date. I have noticed that it is very hard to find information if one navigates to the main forum page since there is no "pinned" discussion surrounding the state of the current campaign. It would help if the "Announcements" was cleaned out of old entries and a single prominent entry created regarding getting funding together for the new server. After all, nothing else matters, discussion-wise, if the issue of getting the server back online is not resolved. Also, can the Announcements Thread be moved one level up to the root of the forum page instead of inside of "General Discussion"? Unless people bookmark "General Discussion" the announcements don't really "pop out" to forum visitors.

-- Eric --

3./JG51_Stecher wrote:Bard said the cost for replacement parts is $570. I had suggested to him something like a GoFundMe page. He offered the idea of buying his book or otherwise depositing directly through PayPal to his account: bard_@hotmail.com

I'll check in with him again on the situation, and see how he wants to proceed.

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Fri May 29, 2015 5:49 pm

I'm still talking with Bliss and Colander about using the ATAG #2 server, under the impression that it is the strongest server potentially available to us. It may be more complicated than first hoped, but we're trying to find a solution. Full access for us is not likely, so we're attempting to find a system that allows us to transfer to them what we need to be over there to run missions. The actual process of hosting missions with the HR system is simply to launch the server. It handles everything from there, including shutting itself down and updating the campaign status files. So we don't really need to do much on the game server once we have the campaign set to go live.

However, a server that we do have full access to would be needed to do all the set up and testing that goes on in the background before that point. It wouldn't have to be anything strong, just to get the files in order. Sabeth mentioned he can possibly make 2 servers available, so they could play a big part in a solution with ATAG. To clarify what you're offering Sabeth, could you give me the main specs of your best server. I'd like to know where it stands compared to ATAG, just to make sure we are pursuing the most powerful option. Thank you.

Spies, we'd need you to head up the website syncing process if we wind up transferring the whole campaign install over to ATAG. I don't remember those particulars from when we did it on Bard's.
Hptm. Stecher, Staffelkapitän
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

TUSA/ColSabeth

Postby TUSA/ColSabeth » Sat May 30, 2015 8:45 am

Server 1:
  • Computer Model: PowerEdge 2650
  • Processor: (2)x 80532K, 3.06GHZ, 1M, 533, DECISION ONE
  • Memory: 6GB || Possibly can boost with current items I have in stock
  • Disk: (5) x HARD DRIVE, 73GB, S, U320, 10K, 1IN, 80P, IBM
  • Power Supply: (2) x POWER SUPPLY, 500W, POWER FACTOR CORRECTION, HOT PLUG, 2650, V2
  • Accessories: CDROM SLIMLINE, FLOPPY.

Server 2:

• Computer Model: PowerEdge 750
  • Processor: (1)x PROCESSOR, 80546, 2.8, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 800, E0 || May be able to supplement higher end P4 processor
  • Memory: 4GB - possibly can boost with current items I have in stock
  • Disk: 1TB SATA || possibly 2TB
  • Power Supply: (1) x POWER SUPPLY, 280W
  • Accessories: CDROM SLIMLINE, FLOPPY.
TUSA/ColSabeth
Team U.S.A - Commanding Officer
http://www.flytusa.com
Take a moment, step back and watch the world from a toddlers viewpoint.. Only then will you truly understand the world, and truly be humbled.

14./JG5_ADRIFTER

Postby 14./JG5_ADRIFTER » Sat May 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think either of those processors on those servers could handle CLOD. Tiny cache size and slow FSB speeds.

TUSA/ColSabeth

Postby TUSA/ColSabeth » Sat May 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Just depends on the overall system requirements for a server Drifter. What is the operating system requirements for a CLOD server? Preferably it would be LInux/AIX ideally Gentoo Linux if you want the most optimized and streamlined trunk of Linux available, or CentOS for a more mainstream Binary compilation. With respect to Windows based systems, Optimization is key and most folk who install and run with either a home computer/workstation or server come to very sad realization that hardware although helpful does not always constitute a great running system. The reason being is "Microsuck" doesn't know what you wish to do with it so they optimize the kernel and dependent system functions at the middle of the road versus being purpose constructed to serve a specific workload and operate in a specific way. I can guarantee my 6 year old system will out perform most I7 based systems on the market today simply based on the fact I built it, I know what I am doing, and frankly it was purpose built component by component to eradicate bottle necks. That being said my system was built to be a gaming workstation, optimized as such both in hardware and a Windows 7 OS. Now-a-days I tend to call it the 10K dollar Facebook engine as my wife is on it more than I am due to work lol.

Regardless, you may be absolutely correct Drifter in the respect of what the basic requirements for a CLOD server are. If they are based on the workstation or playing workstation side where graphical processing is intensely required then yes that will be a challenge which can be alleviated by an add-on card however that remains to be seen. I remain hopeful the server will not require this level of operations.

It is all I have left of the many servers I have owned and ran today. That being said, I still need a full understanding what is wrong with the existing box that is down and out.

I remain hopeful one or both of them can help.

TUSA/ColSabeth
TUSA/ColSabeth
Team U.S.A - Commanding Officer
http://www.flytusa.com
Take a moment, step back and watch the world from a toddlers viewpoint.. Only then will you truly understand the world, and truly be humbled.

14./JG5_Droz

Postby 14./JG5_Droz » Sun May 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Sab, the issue is there is no dedicated server software for CLOD, iirc. The whole game has to run, and that's the issue.

II./JG1_Spies
Site Admin

Postby II./JG1_Spies » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:03 pm

14./JG5_Droz wrote:Sab, the issue is there is no dedicated server software for CLOD, iirc. The whole game has to run, and that's the issue.

The game does not needs to run as a whole, you use the command -server to launch the game and it works as a dedicated server.
I almost sure that you don't even need a game key for the server, you can use your own to install and start the game as a dedicated server and still play in it with the
same key.

The server needs to be Windows OS, unless there is a way to start it thru WINE. Probably impossible since it requires steam to start the server.

I'm pretty sure that the HW specs of Sabeth's Server 1 are more than enough to run a Clod server.

[URU]AkeR

Postby [URU]AkeR » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:50 pm

3./JG51_Stecher wrote:Hi AkeR. We'd love to have you come and fly with us again. Hopefully all of URU as a squad of course. If you mean help in ways other than money, really what we need are people to come fly when we have it running again. So keep an eye out and jump in with us to knock some of that rust off. :)

Looking forward to it!!! S!!!

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:47 pm

It looks like we will have to be hands off if we're going to use the ATAG server. We'd have to get everything ready somewhere else for mission #1, including updating all directories, website syncing, etc, and just send everything over to ATAG. Colander will try setting up a task scheduler in Windows to launch the server on our schedule. Otherwise it would have to be done manually. We won't know for sure until he actually gets a look at our campaign install and knows how everything has to fit together with their server operations. It's worth a shot.

Besides the hardware specs, I think the internet connection for the server is perhaps our biggest concern. We haven't seen a full server with our loaded maps yet. We've had maybe a dozen people on with the many hundreds of objects and it didn't seem to affect anyone badly. But when we get all those connections back and forth, I think bandwidth will be the limiting factor of what we can run. ATAG's servers have been shown to run just find when packed full. If we can make the setup work, we'll see how it goes.
Hptm. Stecher, Staffelkapitän
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

14./JG5_Medar

Postby 14./JG5_Medar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:40 pm

Cool. Still quietly reading these updates, so they are appreciated! :)
. Image

Return to “General Discussion”