Help with the ditch bug!

Any topic related to Ghost Skies or Cliffs of Dover

Moderator: Admin team

AKA_MattE

Help with the ditch bug!

Postby AKA_MattE » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:57 pm

I need some help with the ditch bug where credit is not awarded in some situations where the pilot ditches.

First thing I need to for everyone who is interested in stamping out this bug registrer in the COD bug tracker for Team Fusion and vote for it. Right now it has 5 votes and it needs over 40 to make it to the top of the bug list. Here is the thread on ATAG that tells you where to sign up for the bug tracker http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... php?t=9641 Please register and vote!

Second, I need detailed account from Stachl, including what plane he was flying, had you been hit before I hit you, what systems were hit (that you can remember) how long you were in the air after you were hit, had your engine died by the time you set down and anything else you can think of.

Third, If the Ghost skies engine recorded any relevant information like the exact systems damaged and what the game saw when he touched down (was it a ditch or was it seen as a landing?)

Salmo who is a member of Team Fusion is interested in the bug (it is a well known bug) but has asked if we have more information.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

AKA_MattE

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Re: Help with the ditch bug!

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:56 am

Go here to register (top right): http://tfbt.nuvturais.de

It didn't like my squad tag, so I had to register without it. It took 4 days for the account to be activated. I'm assuming that means they are manually cleared, so be patient and watch for the email (mine was in the Junk folder).

You can navigate there after logging in, but the page for this bug is http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/574

Just click the UP arrow next to Votes.

Looking through the entire bug list there are certainly a few I'd consider priorities, but for our purposes at GS, the stats aren't just there to be trophies. Recording them accurately is how the campaign drives itself. So this would be a really big one to get fixed. I've seen it many times on what were legit kills on ATAG. If our votes give it some added attention, please help out. Thanks for bringing this procedure to my (our) attention Matte.

From what I can tell, the game isn't sending the ditch message to the server. The log just said that Stachl was recovered by friendly troops and that the plane was lost (when he left it). Since there was no ditch event, it doesn't credit those who did the damage, and there's no kill for any parser to record. GS does have a damaged systems tally, and somehow it can vastly outpace the actual game messages that notify you of specific damaged systems. It doesn't specify in the stats what systems were damaged, just how many. But it only records such information on planes that are returned to base in damaged condition. When they are lost, as in this case, it doesn't indicate anything about the damage stats.
Hptm. Stecher, Staffelkapitän
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:28 pm

We did a whole set of ditch testing tonight. Shot each other causing something critical, then put them in. Not one single credited kill. Most did the Esc, Flag, OK method. We did a couple >exitaircraft messages which simulates the same thing in the script. And we did a couple direct respawns into a new plane, without leaving the ditched plane first. This last method is what I'm sure most people do in ATAG, since leaving the plane isn't required like it is in our campaign scripting. But on our server this results in a kick, and that may be preventing the kill credit from going through like it normally would. I don't think we've seen a single kill credit for a ditch no matter how the sortie is terminated.

FYI, as for how this affects GS directly, I'm sure this will be annoying to some, perhaps many, but it actually won't mess the campaign up. The campaign runs on points for lost assets, and it doesn't care what the cause of that loss is. So if a pilot ditches, it won't tag the name of the killer in the event, but it still tracks and scores the loss of that aircraft. Which is all the campaign cares about. It throws a wrench into stat keeping for pilots/squads, but the campaign was already bad with that to begin with.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

AKA_MattE

Postby AKA_MattE » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks Stecher, I appreacite it! I will pass the info on.

AKA_MattE

3./JG51_Stecher
Lead Admin

Postby 3./JG51_Stecher » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:58 pm

I have nothing to add on the game's lack of a kill message/credit on ditches, but the last thing I said about how it affects GS was wrong. See here for the explanation.
3./Jagdgeschwader 51
www.jg51.com

Return to “General Discussion”